Thursday, March 27, 2008

BANTA

Years ago during my MBA I read the book Getting to Yes by Fisher, Ury, & Patton. The book focuses on conflict resolution and negotiation techniques to create that (sorry for the phase) win-win situation. Maybe it’s not win-win, but they try to manage against lose-lose. The technique is called BANTA (Best Alternative to a Negotiated Agreement).

It was a good read. I should have taken better notes though so I could get quick refreshers of the techniques. Isn’t the internet is great … I found a few sites that shared their notes and insights from the book. There are easy, full outlines (http://www.cozy.org/yes.html) to quick tips (http://www.batna.com/tips_v4.html).

I don’t have the time to read everything I want. Time becomes a more valuable commodity as I get older (and the family grows). These sites help me get that quick refresher while maximizing my time. If you haven’t read the book, these sites might be good for you.

At the highest level, here’s what I took away from the text.

· Know yourself and others (audience analysis)

· Understand your walk-away alternatives, wiggle room, your relative power, your relative authority

· Understand others’ walk-away alternatives, potential wiggle room, power, and authority to make a decision. Does the person have the authority to make a decision?

· Focus time to understand items of influence

· Listen more than you talk – that’s can be a hard one

· Don’t react emotionally – that can be hard too

· Understand concessions and be open to splitting the difference

No comments: